Monday, May 19, 2008

Call us Crazy!


American Gothic



We decided to join in with our neighborhood garden this summer.
There are about 10 families that will be having gardens in this field.
Our plot is 30 x30. Yes, We are crazy!
We have never done anything like this before.
Our neighbor who instigated this idea is a farmer.
We are relying on his knowledge and others to help us have a successful garden.

Melissa and Brian helped us get our rows ready.
Thanks to them we were ready for our first day of irrigation. Mick had to work so I got to water our garden spot. Our neighbor and a few other gardeners were there to help. I felt like a farmer in my newly acquired irrigation boots and shovel.
All in all it wasn't a bad experience and actually kind of fun.

Carly and Kaylie helped us plant on Saturday. We planted 22 different vegetables. We are even trying watermelon and cantaloupe.
We went a little crazy on the tomatoes. We planted 44 tomato plants!
We also planted a row of red and yellow onions, and green, red and jalapeno peppers.
We are hoping to be productive enough to make salsa, chili sauce and spaghetti.Posted by Picasa
We will be posting updates on our garden as it grows!

6 comments:

JPI said...

I love the Green Acres photo, it should win an Emmy.

jen said...

It looks like fun! You should put the "green acres" photo in black and white or sepia to look even better! I think it's great you guys are doing such a big garden!

Bon said...

Oh goodie- I absolutely love gardening! I am going to post pic's of our garden soon! Good luck with the watermelon and cantaloupe we planted them too! I hope they work!! I love how big it is!!!

Amanda said...

Fun! :) I look forward to all the updates.

Connie said...

You don't know how to do anything half way, do you? I'm hugely impressed! We are still to afraid of frost to plant anything.

Nuttcrackers said...

Good luck with the garden! Send some good home-grown food our way :) -Brittany