Sunday, September 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Diane!!

I can't even believe that Diane is celebrating her 40 something birthday this year. If I said she was born on September 7, 1962 though I wouldn't actually be telling anyone how old she was, unless your math is really good. Soooo...

My life with this incredible woman has been fantastic. She is the love of my life, and walks hand in hand with me as we follow the Savior and his teachings. My life has been so blessed with seven beautiful children, almost seven grandchildren, and amazing memories of time spent together. We have walked the streets of Jerusalem, sailed down the Nile River, walked through the Coliseum in Rome, and traveled the sacred spots of the Restoration side-by-side. This picture is of Carly and Kaylie, Diane and I sitting in Saucilito looking back towards San Francisco. I love being with her.

Here she is showing her talents as a weaver of hats. I love that smile, and the sense of accomplishment when she and I have worked together to do something we are both proud of. It may not be much, but there was a lot of love and togetherness as we did the service project at EFY this summer.

The Golden Gate Bridge is over our shoulder as I tried to take the arm-length photo. I truly love spending time with her. We figured the other day that without CES, EFY, and BYU travel in our lives, we wouldn't have traveled too much, but as a result of those opportunities we have gotten to see much of the United States, and parts of the world. We love to travel and look forward to spending time as a missionary couple one of these days.

Here we are waiting to get on the Cable Car this past summer in San Francisco. It was another one of those fun family trips where we spent a week traveling around the area after our EFY session.


I don't want to be too cheesy, or too personal, but hope that this tribute expresses even a portion of what I feel for her. Twenty seven years ago I saw her across the dance floor and knew she was the one I was to marry. She is my love, my friend, my support, my strength, and my happiness. As Dad always said, "Without my family, the gospel wouldn't mean what it does, and without the gospel, my family wouldn't mean what it does." Diane has been such an incredible strength for our family. We have testimonies of father's interviews, family home evening, temple attendance, family scripture study, and on and on because of her constant encouragement to do those things that will draw us to the Savior and his teachings.

She has taught our children how to serve in the home, how to care for families, and how to set the Lord as the center of our lives. For that I am eternally grateful. I will always be grateful that she was willing to say, "Are you asking?" when I asked her the marriage question so long ago. My life has been blessed ever since.

Diane, I love you forever, and always. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Bon said...

Happy Birthday Diane! That beautiful birthday post made me cry! Such beautiful words from your husband! You two are so lucky to have found each other!!

Have a great day!

JPI said...

Happy Birthday Mom! I love you so much and I'm so thankful you're my mom. I hope you have a great day and that you enjoyed your roast and mashed potato dinner :) You are a great woman and mom!

Melanie said...

I hope you have a happy birthday! Thanks for raising a daughter who has a love of the gospel and is a great example to me. Melissa makes me want to be a better person and I am because I know her.

Lynette said...

Happy Birthday Diane!!

Melissa said...

Oh Dad, what a sweet post for your first post! I look forward to reading more from you. I love you both so much. Mom, I hope you had a great birthday. Thank you for all you have done for us through-out the years. we love you!

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday, I love reading your blog and keeping in touch.

Hanna in the Hizzzouse.. said...

Happy Birthday, I hope that your day brought so much happiness! You really are such a wonderful woman! I loved this post it was truly special!