Monday, September 22, 2008

~September Memories~

I love the month of September!

Some of the things I enjoy the most about this month are......

~The cooler fall temperatures.
~A new beginning - I like to set goals in September.
~My birthday - I like to reflect on the many blessings in my life.
~Beautiful Sunsets.
~Sunflowers blooming.
~Leaves changing colors.
~The Harvest Moon.
~Peaches!



When I was growing up I would come home from school and see rows of bottled peaches on the counter.
I loved the site of them and especially the taste. I had no idea the time it had taken my mom to
bottle all of the peaches. I just enjoyed the end product all winter long.

Later when I had 3 of our children and was expecting my 4th I decided I also wanted to bottle peaches.
I am so thankful for my Grandma Spencer and the service she gave to me at this time.

She came to my house for several days and helped me bottle peaches and pears.
It was an enjoyable time visiting with her as we worked together.

I didn't know until I was typing up her journal last year that she served many others the same way.
She listed in her journal helping her sisters or sister -in-law canning peaches and pears.

She would list the number of jars that they had bottled and it was many.
I appreciate her example of service to me and so many others.

This is the first year I have bottled peaches in a long time.
I love seeing them on the counter and it brings back a
flood of sweet memories to me!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jbird08 said...

What a gem. I remember Grandma Spencer going to Neans house to help with the bottling of fruit. Wonderful memories in the Fall of our family rides, collecting leaves, and the moon.

Bon said...

September brings back memories for me too! Wonderful smells and lovely memories!:)

Connie said...

Beautiful peaches!! David decided he wanted grape juice, so he went out and bought a juicer, picked the grapes and stayed up until 5am TWICE to get them done!!